The WBO has confirmed what everyone already knew… Manny Pacquiao won his match earlier this month.
Manny Pacquiao says he wants a rematch with Timothy Bradley after a five-judge panel assembled by the WBO championship committee unanimously favored the Filipino fighter in a video review.
Pacquiao said Thursday he would prefer a rematch rather than Bradley giving up the WBO welterweight title that he won on a split decision because “people may think I just usurped it.”
The five judges on the review panel all scored the fight in Pacquiao’s favor — 117-111, 117-111, 118-110, 116-112 and 115-113. At the June 9 bout in Las Vegas, judge Jerry Roth had it 115-113 for Pacquiao, and Duane Ford and C.J. Ross had it for Bradley by the same score. The Associated Press scored it 117-111 for Pacquiao.
“My supporters shouldn’t worry. We’re going to get that title,” Pacquiao said.
The WBO can’t overturn the result of the fight.
June 9th, Bradley was awarded a split decision Saturday night and ending the Filipino fighter’s remarkable seven-year unbeaten run.
Promoter Bob Arum fumed, the crowd at the MGM Grand arena booed, and Pacquiao seemed stunned when the decision was announced. Arum said there would be a November rematch, though he blasted the way the decision went down.
“I’ve never been as ashamed of the sport of boxing as I am tonight,” said Arum, who handles both fighters.
Bradley came on strong in the later rounds, winning five of the last six rounds on two scorecards and four on the third. He won 115-113 on two scorecards, while losing on the third by the same margin. The Associated Press had Pacquiao winning 117-111.
The controversial bout ended a 15-fight winning streak by Pacquiao dating to 2005 that turned him into a boxing superstar and made him a national hero in the Philippines.
“I thought I won the fight,” Bradley said. “I didn’t think he was as good as everyone says he was. I didn’t feel his power.”
Ringside punching statistics showed Pacquiao landing 253 punches to 159 for Bradley, who vowed before the fight to take the 147-pound title from Pacquiao. The Compubox statistics showed Pacquiao landing more punches in 10 of the 12 rounds.
Bradley was so confident that he had oversized tickets printed up for a Nov. 10 rematch that will now likely happen.
- WBO says Pacquiao won over Bradley – report (sports.inquirer.net)
- Pacquiao wins WBO review, re-match recommended (dawn.com)
- Manny Pacquiao won fight against Timothy Bradley, rules WBO panel (guardian.co.uk)
- Timothy Bradley Scores Controversial Win over Manny Pacquiao (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- WBO scores fight for Pacquiao (lfpress.com)
- WBO scores fight for Pacquiao, who wants rematch with Bradley (cbssports.com)
- Pacquiao wins WBO review, re-match recommended (reuters.com)
- Pacquiao wins WBO review, re-match recommended (todayonline.com)
- WBO review panel says Pacquiao defeated Bradley (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- Pacquiao returns to help flood victims (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Bradley Defeats Pacquiao In Stunning Split Decision (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Bradley aims for decisive win in rematch (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Judge from Bradley – Pacquiao fight speaks out (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Hatton predicts Pacquiao victory (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Should there be an investigation of the Manny Pacquiao fight? (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Pacquiao vs. Bradley Fight Results: Who Won (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Pacquiao receives hero’s welcome (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Manny Pacquiao Loses To Timothy Bradley in Controversial Split Decision (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)