There will be a familiar face on ESPN2’s “Friday Night Fights” this evening.
Staunton Boxing Club owner Bruce Frank will be the chief corner for Scott Sigmond in his supermiddleweight bout with three-time world champion Kelly Pavlik. The fight in Las Vegas is the main event of the weekly show.
The event starts at 9 p.m., and Frank imagines the main event will begin around 10 p.m.
“I have never been to this level before,” Frank said. “I’ve been on HBO, Showtime and the Spanish station, but I’ve never been on the main event. I’ve always been on the undercard.”
A native of Bedford, Sigmond, nicknamed “Cujo,” started boxing in 2005, training in Staunton and Roanoke. He was the Golden Gloves champion of Virginia in 2007, and he turned pro in 2008. Since turning pro, the WBC North American Super Middleweight title holder has compiled a 22-3 record with 12 knockouts.
His opponent, Pavlik, 30, has a career record of 38-2 with 32 knockouts.
Frank has been the chief corner for all 25 of Sigmond’s fights. The corner man is person responsible for passing on advice to his fighter between rounds.
Although boxing has a reputation for being an inner-city sport, the Staunton Boxing Club has more professionals (five) than any of the 41 certified gyms in the state.
- THQ Outlines More Details On Ring Breaks In WWE ’13 (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Shawn Michaels Appreciation Night (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- WWE Considering Change To Wellness Policy Announcements (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Happy 27th Birthday Drew McIntyre (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson sells California estate for close to $4.9 million (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Jim Ross on commentary for final FCW arena taping (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Randy Orton comments on his 60-day suspension (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Happy 47th Birthday Mick Foley (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Has CM Punk Lost the Edge That Made Him a Star? (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- WWE Issues Response to TNA’s Lawsuit (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)