The organisers of the controversial bout between David Haye and Dereck Chisora are certain that the July 14 grudge match will take place despite a threat to expel the Luxembourg Boxing Federation from the European Boxing Union.
Haye and Chisora, who clashed in an ugly press conference brawl in Germany four months ago, will face each other in a hotly-anticipated, yet highly-controversial bout at Upton Park this summer.
As neither fighter holds a British licence, organisers have had to get the fight sanctioned by the LBF – a move that has caused anger in the boxing community. It was confirmed on Monday that the LBF will be thrown out of the EBU if they do not pull out of sanctioning the fight.
“There was a meeting of the general assembly on Saturday,” said a spokeswoman for the EBU. “As it stands the LBF are still in the EBU but if the July 14 fight does go ahead they will be out. The decision (the assembly came to) was with a great majority.”
Despite the EBU’s hardline stance, Press Association Sport understands organisers are certain that the fight will go ahead, and claim that the LBF are still fully committed to the bout.
Last weekend’s events are the latest instalment in what has been a controversial build-up to the fight between the two Londoners.
The British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) threatened to expel all those involved in the fight without a hearing, although they softened their stance over the weekend by claiming anyone charged would be able to answer their case.
Frank Warren, who manages Chisora, said on Sunday that he intends to issue legal proceedings against the BBBofC.
WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko branded the bout a “freak show”, but Warren insists the fight is legal and is adamant that Chisora should be allowed to take on Haye as he has not been able to box since February.
The Finchley fighter brawled with Haye in Munich after he had lost on points to WBA champion Vitali Klitschko, while Haye has not fought since a points defeat to the younger Klitschko brother last summer.
- Is Chris Benoit Featured In The New WWE Encyclopedia? (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Jon Fitch Latest Fighter to Bow Out Due to Injury (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Good nutrition starts with the right nutrients (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Nutrition tip: Free isn’t always good (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. To Jail: Boxer’s Sentence Set To Being At Las Vegas’ Clark County Detention Center (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- The Justin Bieber-Mike Tyson Connection (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Hatton predicts Pacquiao victory (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- ake Bostwick vs. Jamaine Facey Highlight of the Night at UCMMA 28 (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Could the Feud with John Cena Be Big Show’s Last Big Run? (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- WDW Bloody Massacre 2012 Results (worlddominationwrestling.wordpress.com)