WWE has attempted to distance themselves from Chris Benoit since his career and life ended in a murder–suicide on June 24, 2007. With the exception of his results and listings in WWE.com’s title history (though summaries of his title reigns have been removed), and select content published when he was alive, he is generally not acknowledged by the sports entertainment organization. All mentions of Benoit have been removed from archived footage broadcast on WWE Classics On Demand whenever possible. Matches and other footage involving Benoit have appeared very sparingly on new video releases. Benoit was, however, listed in the first WWE Encyclopedia volume released in 2009, where his wrestling career up to where he lost the World Heavyweight Championship to Randy Ortonin 2004 is detailed, along with title history. A second volume is scheduled for release this September and author Kevin Sullivan confirmed that Benoit is once again listed.
When asked via Twitter whether the new edition will have a Benoit section, Sullivan responded, “Yes, he does.”
Vince McMahon stated during a 2009 interview with WWE Magazine for “The Untold History of the WWE” issue that it is okay to acknowledge Benoit within a historical context but not in a promotional manner.
“It’s not right to pretend he didn’t exist,” he said when asked whether Benoit’s history can be acknowledged by WWE. “It’s one thing to include him as part of a historical perspective, which I believe is okay, and it’s another thing to promote him, which is not okay.
Over a three-day period ending on June 24, 2007. Benoit killed his wife, Nancy Benoit, strangled his seven-year-old son, Daniel, and subsequently committed suicide by hanging.
- Fan Given Role in The Marine: Homefront (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Randy Orton’S Suspension and the Fans Left Behind (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- THQ announces development of WWE’13 (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. To Jail: Boxer’s Sentence Set To Being At Las Vegas’ Clark County Detention Center (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- The Justin Bieber-Mike Tyson Connection (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Hatton predicts Pacquiao victory (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- TUF Live Finale: Martin Kampmann vs. Johny Hendricks Head to Toe Breakdown (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Frank Mir’s TRT Exemption: Is There a Low Testosterone Epidemic in MMA? (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Daron Cruickshank Outpoints Chris Tickle (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- WDW Bloody Massacre 2012 Results (worlddominationwrestling.wordpress.com)
- Ultimate Fighter Finale Results: Grades for All Main Card Fighters (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- TUF Live Finale: The Real Winners and Losers from Ellenberger vs. Kampmann (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- TUF Live Finale: Recapping the Fight Night Bonuses (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Is Chris Benoit Featured In The New WWE Encyclopedia? (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- WWE Issues Response to TNA’s Lawsuit (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- THQ Outlines More Details On Ring Breaks In WWE ’13 (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Shawn Michaels Appreciation Night (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Has CM Punk Lost the Edge That Made Him a Star? (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)