Could exercise actually be bad for some healthy people? A well-known group of researchers, including one who helped write the scientific paper justifying US guidelines that promote exercise for all, say the answer may be a qualified yes.
By analyzing data from six rigorous exercise studies involving 1,687 people, the group found that about 10 percent actually got worse on at least one of the measures related to heart disease:blood pressure and levels of insulin, HDL cholesterolortriglycerides. About 7 percent got worse on at least two measures. And the researchers say they do not know why.
“It is bizarre,” said Claude Bouchard , lead author of the paper, published on Wednesday in the journal PLoS One, and a professor of genetics and nutrition at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center, part of the Louisiana State University system.
Dr. Michael Lauer, director of the Division of Cardiovascular Sciences at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, the lead federal research institute on heart disease and strokes, was among the experts not involved in the provocative study who applauded it. “It is an interesting and well-done study,” he said.
Others worried about its consequences . “There are a lot of people out there looking for any excuse not to exercise,” said William Haskell, emeritus professor of medicine at the Stanford Prevention Research Center. “This might be an excuse for them to say, ‘Oh, I must be one of those 10 percent.’
But counterbalancing the 10 percent who got worse were about the same proportion who had an exaggeratedly good response on at least one measure. Others had responses ranging from little or no change up to big changes, seen in about 10 percent, where risk factor measurements improved anywhere from 20 percent to 50 percent.
“That should make folks happy,” said Dr. William E. Kraus, a co-author of the study.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. To Jail: Boxer’s Sentence Set To Being At Las Vegas’ Clark County Detention Center (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- The Justin Bieber-Mike Tyson Connection (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Hatton predicts Pacquiao victory (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- TUF Live Finale: Martin Kampmann vs. Johny Hendricks Head to Toe Breakdown (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Frank Mir’s TRT Exemption: Is There a Low Testosterone Epidemic in MMA? (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- TUF Live Finale: Recapping the Fight Night Bonuses (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- TUF Live Finale: The Real Winners and Losers from Ellenberger vs. Kampmann (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Ultimate Fighter Finale Results: Grades for All Main Card Fighters (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- Daron Cruickshank Outpoints Chris Tickle (wrestleraw.wordpress.com)
- WDW Bloody Massacre 2012 Results (worlddominationwrestling.wordpress.com)